Online Sales up 30% with a Big Boost From Mobile
Black Friday sales were huge, so what about Cyber Monday? Sales were up, and customers bought more items per order this year. Oddly, they had a lower Average Order Value than in 2011, which indicates that people were shopping for values. See below for figures.
The big winner was mobile sales:
- Online sales were up 30.3% over last year.
- Cyber Monday purchasing activity beat Black Friday by 49%
- Mobile sales accounted for almost 13% of sales – up 96% from last year.
- The iPad drove most of the online sales with usage up 118%.
- Amazon Kindle accounted for 2.6%.
- Barnes and Noble Nook accounted for 0.6%.
But the big loser was social media, which lost ground since 2011:
- Facebook referral traffic was down almost 14%.
- Twitter was insignificant.
The combined numbers from Black Friday and Cyber Monday suggests that marketers should devote more to their mobile strategy than to social media.